Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday 20 September 2007

Flushed

I love colours. It’s a fact. All in all, they’re generally the single largest factor affecting most decisions I take in life.

I don’t know when I woke up to these wonderful pigments, or feelings, or whatever they are, but I think my definition of hell would be a life without colour.

Point in case is, I don’t even know how to define them. I just know how they make me feel- like drinking air, or walking on clouds, or maybe just becoming a cloud bouncing along somewhere up there. I think they’re the miracles of nature most people are too busy to notice.


“For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
there is a different green”

- Bilbo Baggins

And Bilbo, with all his travels, adventures and experience wasn’t wrong either. For too many people in this world colours are just red, white, blue, yellow, black, etc. At most they can graduate to dark and light green, blue and brown.

Have you ever noticed sparkling gray eyes like Anne’s in the classics by L. M. Montgomery? They make me think of stars… And yet, gray is a colour most often used to describe any bleak aspect.
How can the same colour be associated with two such opposing views?

Fire- no painter or photographer can ever capture its true beauty. Is it yellow and orange, or orange and red, or an amalgamation of all these colours forming something the human mind can’t ever hope to grasp?
Oh, by the way, when fire grows very hot it’s blue in colour…

A new born leaf is reddish- green, as it matures, it goes from being mostly- green to properly- green to finally becoming gold as it falls from its tree.

The azure of a clear spring morning changes to the velvety indigo of midnight, and two flowers on the same rose bush will always be a different shade of pink.

No poet will EVER be able to colour the sea- for which bit shall she do?
The shimmering haze of sunlight on the water, the clear blue of the shallow seas on white sand, the magical blue- green of the open waters, the sunset reflected on it in the evenings or it’s inky blackness at night?

For just 1 day on your high- definition flatrons try and notice the black and yellow blur of a cheetah chasing prey, enjoy the blue of a calm river turn suddenly to frothy white as it bashes up rocks, or just watch a butterfly do its thing…

I promise you, you’ll also start noticing all the different greens.

2 comments:

  1. Colour is never as special on TV or in photos as it is in real life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the nicest posts I've read on a blog. =)

    ReplyDelete